This week, we ended up working on Leading By the Feet & some groundwork in my obstacle area where my jumping logs are. Hero was quite resistant to Leading By the Feet on both the front & hind feet, but especially with the hinds. I would like to see this improve a bit more as he's more protective of that hind end, thinking back to when he offered to kick during our early groundwork & his reaction during the first ride.
In the obstacle area, I've got some dirt piles with weeds that we worked over & through. It took a bit of time, but he trekked through & stood in them by the time we were done. We also did a bit of work over the logs. I anticipate we'll move to the larger jumping logs next week.
Next week, we'll do a review day of Leading By the Feet, continue to do some groundwork over obstacles, go through the lay down process, & pony out & about where he gets used to the dogs roaming about & where we can improve his ability to come forward off of halter pressure a bit better during his sticky moments. If there's time, I'll also introduce him to dragging the sled on the ground.
My goal with all of this is to expose him to a bunch of things so that when I climb back on, it's no big deal. Almost as if he'll say, "Ah heck, I'm not too worried about what she's going to throw at me next."
I plan to set the camera up if the wind isn't too terrible as we work the obstacles as well. **His eyelid is looking great! The eye itself was untouched & there's almost no inflammation.
- Lexy Nuesch
Next week's update will be posted on Saturday.
I do my best to get these updates posted in a timely manner, but it's not uncommon for me to be outside until after dark, depending on the weather, my schedule, & who gets worked when so updates will sometimes be posted quite late in the evening. Don't be alarmed if you don't see your update right away. In rare cases, I may have to push them until the next morning, but I'll reach out & let you know if so.